About Me

My photo
Drifting through life...

Wednesday 26 September 2012

A much needed holiday!


Oh, hey there! It has a really long time since I last blogged and it is safe to say that I have missed it like crazy; every time something exciting has happened I would immediately make a mental note *mustblogthismustblogthis*, but alas, I never blogged. Why, you ask? Because I was on holiday in Pakistan, where I had no.internet.connection! 

I want to do a quick post about my holiday before I start with my beauty and cake [nom] posts because it was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. 

My parents are from Pakistan but they both came to the UK when they were children. They go back to Pk every few years because we still have family there, but us, the children, have never had any sort of connection or love for Pk. I mean, we went on holiday there, but that was 9 years ago! This holiday was going to be a chance to reconnect with our family there, see how they live, gain a bit more cultural understanding and really value what we have.  

I don't even know where to begin. Let's just say that on our first day there we had the biggest culture, climate  and any other shock that we could have had. 

It was hot and sweaty that we would shower twice a day...and it still wouldn't be enough. 
The Government took the electricity every other hour so the fans wouldn't work - and we nearly boiled to death on many occasions.
It was too hot to leave the house during the day!
There really was not much to do in the village we stayed in.

I know what you're thinking, 'Wow, she is a little Moaning Mona!' And that is exactly what we thought after the first few days. How dare we go to a different country and not appreciate what they had to offer. It was their way of living but we couldn't see past our excessive lifestyle! 

Once we embraced the way of life there, we LOVED it! The people were amazing; they were so simple and forgiving (my attempt at Punjabi had them in giggles). They didn't take ANYTHING for granted. It was really humbling being there and having them give us an insight into their lives. We were showered with so much love, more than we deserved! It was lovely seeing all the girls I remembered from the last time I went and seeing how we had all grown up. We went on a gazillion road trips and sight seeing, and got to see the beauty of Pakistan that we didn't even know existed.

It really makes you take a step back and appreciate what you have. I found that some people there didn't have much money but they were so happy, because, even though they weren't materialistically wealthy, they had the love and support of their family and local community which is so much richer and more valuable.


How was your summer?









No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your floaty thoughts here as you drift through...